Visas for Australia

Student visa (Subclass 500)

The Student visa (subclass 500) allows you to remain in Australia for up to 5 years for the purpose of full-time study at an educational institution, in line with your enrolment.

With this visa you can:

  • Take part in an eligible course of study.
  • Include your family members in your application (your partner or you and your partner’s dependent child.
  • Apply in or outside Australia.
  • Work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts.

Get your free consultation today!

What are the eligibility criteria for the Student visa 500?

  • You must be 6 years or older.
  • Provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) at a full-time course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students, CRICOS.
  • Show evidence of your English language skills.
  • You and your family members must be covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an approved Australian health insurance provider for the length of your stay in Australia.
  • If you’re under 18 years of age, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place while you are in Australia.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Have enough money for your stay.

All of the following types of study are included on this visa. For more information about student visas, visit Department of Home Affairs:

  • Independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students).
  • Schools (primary and secondary).
  • Secondary school exchange program.
  • Vocational education and training (VET).
  • Higher education.
  • Postgraduate research.
  • Non-award courses.
  • International students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.

Other visa options

Visitor Visa (Subclasses 600, 601, 651)

  • Maximum 3 months study.
  • Intention to visit Australia is genuine.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Sufficient money to support yourself during stay in Australia.

Read more about Visitor Visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417 and 462)

  • Maximum 4 months study.
  • Aged 18 to 30 years and hold an eligible passport.
  • Principal purpose to holiday in Australia.
  • Enter or remain in Australia as a genuine visitor.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Sufficient funds for airfares and personal support for stay in Australia.

Read more about Working Holiday Visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485)

  • This visa allows eligible international students who have completed an Australian education to stay in Australia to gain work experience.
  • You can work in Australia for a period of 18 months and up to 4 years, depending on your qualification.
  • This visa does not restrict the type of work you may do or the number of hours you may work.
  • Applications for this visa must be made in Australia and you must hold an eligible student visa in the last 6 months.
  • You must meet Australian study, English proficiency, health insurance, health and character requirements.
  • You must meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa.

Read more about Temporary Graduate visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Training Visa (Subclass 407)

The Training Subclass 407 Visa is a short stay visa for people to undergo occupational training or professional development in Australia. The Training visa allows people to undertake occupational training in Australia to meet occupational registration or licensing requirements; to enhance skills in their occupation; or for capacity building overseas.

The visa is generally valid for stay in Australia for 2 years. The visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training specified in the visa application. You must also maintain your health insurance whilst in Australia.

The application must be lodged online. You can either be in Australia or overseas when lodging the application. Family members (spouses and children) can be included in the application.

Visa options and requirements are sometimes subject to change. The best option is to contact Stay Global, who can help with your visa application, course application, and answer any other questions.

Another possibility to stay up to date, the best place to get accurate information is on the Department of Home Affairs website. The website provides comprehensive information on the types of visas available for different levels of study in Australia, including people considering bring family members with them (whether guardians, partners/spouses or children). You will also have access to help and advice about your specific visa requirements.

stayglobal- student angency Asutralia